Risk & Reinvention: How Women Are Changing the World — August 15-16, 2014
THANK YOU to everyone who attended the Women's International Study Center's (WISC's) inaugural Symposium, Risk & Reinvention: How Women Are Changing the World, on August 15-16, 2014. Your participation and engagement in the 2-day conversations made the event an incredibly inspiring community experience, and created awareness for the need for intergenerational communication about issues affecting women around the world. WISC would also like to thank each of the extraordinary panelists who offered their insights and knowledge with authenticity and excellence. We would especially like to thank U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg for inviting us into such a personal and thoughtful discussion about her life, experiences and perspectives.
WISC's inaugural Symposium could not have been possible without the support of WISC's Board of Directors, our Academic Advisory Committee, our incredible team of volunteers, and our generous Sponsors and Supporters including our host, the Drury Plaza Hotel-Santa Fe.
If you attended WISC's 2014 Symposium and you did not have a chance to fill out an evaluation, please use this LINK to fill out our online evaluation form. Your feedback is incredibly important to help us understand how we can improve the Symposium and make next year's event an even greater success. Thank you!
For the Symposium agenda, session descriptions and speaker biographies, please download the Program Book. Many thanks to graphic designer Terri Jerry for provding your time and immense talent.
Please read the Introductory Remarks to the Symposium by Helena Ribe, member of the WISC Board of Directors and Chair of the Symposium Content Committee.
Many thanks to KSFR Santa Fe Public Radio 101.1FM and Alliance Audio Visual for providing these recordings.
- A Conversation with U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- WISC Symposium 2014 Plenary Session
- FOCUS SESSIONS:
- First Afternoon Session: Young Women Today
- Second Afternoon Session: A Global Perspective
- Concluding Session: What Are the Lessons and Insights Gained Today
The following is a list of handouts that were available at the Symposium and referenced by Symposium panelists:
- "Bridging the Big Divide," Marano, H, Schreiber,K and Model,M. 2013. Psychology Today, sponsored by Sun Life Financial. Referenced by Catherine Allen, panelist, Women in the Labor Force and Business.
- "Data on Women in STEM," prepared and referenced by Jennifer Raymond, panelist, First Morning Session: Starting Point and Concluding Session: What Are the Lessons and Insights, and moderator, Women in Sciences, Engineering and Technology.
- "M@B Bluprint: Millenials and Boomers Shaping Each Others' Lives," Everton, M, AIMSights. Prepared and referenced by Marsha Everton, panelist, First Afternoon Session: Young Women Today.
- "Risk & Reinvention Matrix," prepared and referenced by Marsha Everton, panelist, First Afternoon Session: Young Women Today; Meryl Marshall-Daniels, panelist, First Afternoon Session: Young Women Today and Second Afternoon Session: Global Perspectives; and Helena Ribe, panelist, Concluding Session: What are the Lessons and Insights.
- "The Skills Leaders Need at Every Level." Zenger, J and Folkman, J. 2014. Harvard Business Review. Referenced by Catherine Allen, panelist, Women in the Labor Force and Business.
- "WISC Report on the Status of Women in the US," prepared and referenced by Letitia Chambers, panelist, First Morning Session: Starting Point and Concluding Session: What Are the Lessons and Insights, and moderator, Women in Cultural Preservation.
- "Women in Sciences, Engineering and Technology," prepared and referenced by Joan Woodard, panelist, Women in Sciences, Engineering and Technology.
Please enjoy browsing images from the Symposium in our Image Gallery. Many thanks once again to photographer Jane Bernard for providing these stunning images.
LUNCH DISCUSSION INSIGHTS:
Click HERE to read the insights Symposium participants developed during the lunch table discussions.
WISC was pleased to host its inaugural Symposium, Risk & Reinvention: How Women Are Changing the World, on August 15-16, 2014 at the new Drury Plaza Hotel, Santa Fe, NM.
More than three hundred women and men gathered at the 2014 Symposium to explore women’s accomplishments, challenges and opportunities across disciplines, ethnicities and generations. Beginning with a conversation with U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, more than 30 experts in scholarship, science, technology, engineering, art, law, cultural preservation, business and labor force analysis engaged in panel discussions to share their expertise, perspectives and experiences. The Symposium sought to inspire participants to create a future that realizes the full potential of women and honors their contributions to our world.
Once again, WISC would like to thank our Board of Directors, our Academic Advisory Commitee, our Content and Planning Committees, our numerous volunteers, our generous Sponsors and Supporters, and YOU who attended our inaugural Symposium, gave of your time and yourselves, and made it authentic and meaningful. Thank you!
Thank You To Our Generous Sponsors:
Thank You To Our Generous Supporters: